Wild Camping Locations

Forums Camping and Backpacking Wild Camping Locations

Participant
    none
    It would be interesting to establish a list of grids/positions of wild camping locations that people have used. In particular it would be good to have positions that have a good view.
    (*_*) Just over the next hill...
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Replies
      Hans
      Keymaster
      none
      A few of the guy’s I know spend time in the Dark Peak area, not sure of grid, but they love it.
      Live your life by a compass, not a clock
      Barry Gray
      Keymaster
      GB
      This is a great link for those wishing to wild camp on Dartmoor plus a great site for many other Dartmoor related activities.

https://www.dartmoor.gov.uk/about-us/about-us-maps/new-camping-map

There is no information right now as it has been taken down due to Covid 19 in accordance with government guidelines. When the restrictions are lifted it will re-populated.

Baz

Nobby
      Participant
      none
      Thanks Gents,

Wild Camping is a tricky subject especially when you are looking at Open Access Land vs Private (White tiles on a map). With regard to Dartmoor this is not an issue due to the Byelaws (it is allowed as long as not on a firing range) but if; for example you want to put up poles on the Cotswold way & other National Trails it can be a gamble. Wild camping is not permitted by right on open access land in England and Wales without express permission of the landowner (Scotland is a different ball game). To that end it would be good to establish a list of “Known Locations” that have reduced risk of getting chased with a pitch Fork. I personally have got my head down in all sorts of locations whilst Cycling, Hiking & Paddling. I think it would be a great resource to see locations that other members have stayed at. Maybe a google map with points & comments would be useful? I could look at setting something up as a shared map?

When you are in national parks it is not usually an issue but national trails are more tricky.

Hans
      Keymaster
      none
      I would welcome that Nobby. A goggle map would be really useful. Great idea.
      Live your life by a compass, not a clock
      Nobby
      Participant
      none
      I have created a Map Here:

https://tinyurl.com/yb6z7t8h

it is a google Map. (My Maps) there is nothing on it at present. I will add locations as i go.

it would be great to get input from the community. If OutDoorAthlete would like a dedicated Map it can be done Via Google MyMaps

Ian
      I’ve wild camp at various locations on Bodmin moor, never had any trouble, the secret is as always arrive late and leave early. Ooh and of course leave no trace and stay out of sight from dwellings
Viewing 5 reply threads
Reply To: Wild Camping Locations
Your information: