Is it time we put Marketing back into the Sales team?    

Forums The Touchline Coach Is it time we put Marketing back into the Sales team?    

• This topic is empty.
    Keymaster
    none
    Is it time we put Marketing back into the Sales team? 

A sure way to free up headspace and time in the office; reduce the number of e-mails you get, and spend less time briefing middle managers is to simplify your business structure and reduce the number of direct reports you have. Effectively pushing more responsibility for execution to the line below you.

Marketing is simply a function of sales.  I have never understood why we have a Marketing Team and a Sales Team, cost base aside, isn’t this just a complication?

Does anyone have experience of putting the marketing team back into the sales department?

• This topic was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by Hans.
    • This topic was modified 2 months ago by Hans.
    • This topic was modified 2 months ago by Hans.
    Live your life by a compass, not a clock
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Replies
      John Dance
      I see it is as an integral part of any business, without your marketing team how do you expect to grow ?

Having a competent marketing executive in charge of a team that has worked on a strategy for how and when to put your product out to market, I/e advertising, web page, newspapers and social media will achieve the best results and this has been proven time and time again but as we all know oh so well when times are hard businesses tend to get rid of the top tiers in marketing to save money.

How many businesses suffer in the long term when loosing someone that has the gravitas and mutual understanding with web designers, printers and the press. The vision and direction is passed down from the CEO and the Marketing Executive makes it happen with a lot more flair.

Hans
      Thanks, John, and I agree, If we don’t continually tell people about our products or services then no one will buy it, making the job of  sales much harder.

The point I am making is, by having two separate departments; unless effort is put into co-ordinating activities and meetings, the effort can be disjointed, headcount costs are higher and more time and energy is required to lead more people. As such, is there merit in combing the two departments?

Viewing 1 reply thread
Reply To: Is it time we put Marketing back into the Sales team?    
Your information: